Apparently, roasting chestnuts is a Christmas tradition in other parts of the world, but it hadn't found it's way into my life, until now. Perhaps it's because chestnuts are hard to find in my neck of the woods. I happened upon them while grocery shopping in Trader Joe's, imported all the way from Italy. I was so excited when I spotted them, I could scarcely believe what I was seeing, especially since I had never seen one before.
Through my research, I found several ways to roast chestnuts and on New Year's Eve, set out to conduct this experiment using the outdoor grill. Unfortunately, the grill ran out of propane. I was faced with a dilemma. I wanted to be authentic to the song and roast chestnuts over an "open" fire but I had to result to plan B - the oven. After cutting an "X" into the chestnuts so they wouldn't explode when baking or eating, I placed them in a baking tin for 20 minutes at 400 degrees so they were almost cooked. To pay homage to the song lyric, I quickly placed them in my fireplace on top of a roaring fire. It was a beautiful site to see and quite a moment to witness as Nat King Cole sang the song in the background. I must say, chestnuts are quite tasty, the meat of the nut looking much like little golden brains. I now have a fonder appreciation for this song and look forward to making this one of my Christmas traditions, provided I can find chestnuts.
To see photos of this event, click on the below image. It's an experiment worth trying!
![]() |
| Roasting Chestnuts |

No comments:
Post a Comment