Saturday, November 12, 2011

Grumblings in the Grampians

No matter what happens in life, it’s how we look at a situation that makes all the difference.  Being a glass half full type of person, I know from experience life does not go according to our plans and in these times, we realize how little control we have.  What we do have control over is our reaction.  It is this outlook that came with me as I set out on this next portion of my journey to explore the great state of Victoria.

Out of all the tours thus far, this one appeared to be geared more towards the backpacker, offering hostel accommodations and an average target age range of 18 – 35.  Although I was unfamiliar with hostels and the culture that goes with it, I had an inkling.  Images filled my head of college-age adults commingling trying to find themselves at the end of a few bottles of beer, a lifestyle that I had no desire to participate in.  Being a single female traveling alone on this portion of the trip, safety was my number one concern, so when the tour operators told me I could be potentially sharing a coed dormitory, I decided to upgrade and get my own room.

Thankfully, this backpacker stereotype was squashed with the meeting of my tour group. Diverse in age, gender, ethnicity, and nationality, this small group consisted of a combination of day trippers set out to see the Grampians and four of us, all American, who would join another tour to continue our 3-day journey.  I was encouraged to see a few older ladies join us for the tour albeit a bit surprised.  This was an active tour with some challenging hikes and based on their long skirts, stylish purses, and sandals, they were surprised as well.  I believe the majority of the group was not aware that this was an active tour and that we would actually be hiking today.  A drive into the Grampians was expected but due to severe rains a few months earlier, the road up into the Grampians was washed out along with the original itinerary for this tour.  None of us where aware of this change.

News of the changed itinerary set these ladies off on a grumbling spree and being seated behind me, I heard every word.  What started off as casual comments, like a spark ignites a flame, the comments grew and the frustration spread.  The ladies tried to have me carry this torch as well by inviting me into this conversation and squelch my half glass full optimism with negative groupthink. 

The reality was that some of the group was not physically able to do the hike nor adequately prepared.  Therefore, they would not be able to experience the Grampians as the tour intended.  This was disappointing indeed.  Fortunately, I was prepared, willing, and able to do the hike, taking photos along the way on behalf of the ladies so they didn’t feel like they completely missed out. 

Hiking in the Grampians
Perhaps it was due to the itinerary change or the fact that living in such a beautiful hiking area has spoiled me, but the Grampians provided a great, challenging hike but cannot be compared to the likes of Yosemite or Big Sur.  Still, hiking through gum trees, also known as Eucalyptus trees, skirting past cliffs, and scouring boulders was a fun challenge, a great excuse to be in nature, and a good way to get to know my tour mates.  Wafts of bad karaoke serenaded us from a party in the valley below, something one doesn’t expect to hear in the midst of nature and from on top of a mountain.  There was no escaping it, which was funny and sad at the same time.

Kangaroos outside my Halls Gap accommodations
Once our group assembled again and the four of us Americans were dropped of at our accommodation to connect with our continuing tour, our tour guide pulled us aside so as to be out of hearing range from the grumblers.  He informed us the other tour had van problems this morning and would be a couple of hours late.  The “no worries” Aussie mentality kicked in and we chilled in our accommodations.  It reminded me of a big lodge used for weekend youth group snow trips with a common area, kitchen, and a couple of bedrooms with bunk beds.  However, my accommodations were still to be determined.  Outside the front porch in the park were a bunch of kangaroo grazing in the grass.  They’re like deer here, wild and found almost all over yet I am amazed each time I see them.

It’s funny how I’ve come all the way to another country and meet Americans.  All of a sudden, this vast country I know as home with its 50 states becomes so small when I meet an American in a foreign country.  Even if they are from another state on the complete opposite side of the country from where I live, it feels like they are my neighbor and we’ve known each other for a lifetime.  We’re co-patriots and share that instant bond, although parts of the US are like foreign countries to me, places I have yet to explore.

My fellow Americans hailed from Minnesota and Nebraska.  Aunt Nona, her nephew, Michael, a computer programmer, and his friend Ben, a rancher and I say a real life cowboy, were in Melbourne for a couple of weeks due to a conference at which Michael was presenting. 

After a brief acquaintance, the rest of the group arrived, the disheveled driver, tired yet energetic showed me to my room next to the lodge.  It actually was almost a lodge in itself with a huge bed, kitchen, bathroom, and two extra bunk beds!  Thankful to be able to take a shower after the long hike, I rejoined the group a new woman.  The diversity of the group remained albeit with different faces.

Meals are a collaborative event where everyone pitches in with the cooking and cleaning.  I was amazed at the teamwork of our group, especially the willingness to serve.  It was hard to help because so many others were vying for the opportunity!  To add to the family style environment, the driver’s parents joined us for dinner, as it was his birthday.  Birthday wishes and cake flowed to all our delight. 

Many of the group had been traveling with each other as part of a longer tour, which was evident by the bonds they had formed.  As I said good night, I took the short, lonely walk to my room, feeling sad to be leaving the group, but thankful as well.  There were about 6-8 people sharing two rooms and one bathroom, a disaster in the making. 

Despite the unfortunate events of today that could cause one to grumble, the relaxed Aussie attitude and the fact that I want to get the most out of each moment allowed me to go with the flow and enjoy the ride. After all, with life, it’s all a matter of attitude.

2 comments:

Margaret Taylor said...

So good to hear from you at last! Sounds like a trip of a life time. Can't wait until you get home and tell us more.

Mike Henke said...

Kristi - Lost your email address. Have some pictures and movie clips you can pick through from our few days together. - Mike Henke henke.mike@gmail.com