Ever since my trip to England, it has become a tradition when I travel that I have my picture taken overlooking the edge of a cliff. I didn’t set out for this to be a tradition. It just happened. Now when I see a cliff with people on it and a tour that goes to it, I’m there, much to the chagrin of my family.
There is a piece of advice a friend gave me that I keep in my mental pocket when I travel and occasionally pull out in circumstances such as this: have no regrets. So as not to break this tradition, I got up at 5am, stuffy nose and all, and went for it. Loaded down with plenty of water, sunscreen, and my Aussie hat, I set out on the 3-hour guided hike, praying I’d have the energy to complete it. I knew I’d have to go slow if I was to finish. The point was to enjoy the journey.
![]() |
| The Oasis |
| On the edge of Kings Canyon |
After a nice shower, we packed up and headed to our final destination for this tour – Alice Springs, known by the locals as “The Alice,” which is a town of 28,000 people in the middle of nowhere.
Surprisingly enough, I was feeling better! The exercise, liters of water, and prayers definitely worked of which my nose and I were thankful. However, I didn’t know how important this would be, to be able to taste and smell and savor something I never knew I would be eating – camel.
| Eating a camel burger |
Reminiscent of school bus trips, it is on the bus that alliances are made and friends are formed. While one may book tours to see amazing places, such experiences are also found in the people you are sharing the experience with. Just think… out of everyone in the world, you are sharing these experiences with these select people. Different circumstances brought them here at this time and place and while you may never see them again, you will have these precious moments in common. For this reason, I value the people I tour with and love to hear their stories. For example, there was the Dutch gentleman, a retired school teacher who engaged me in a battle of jokes on the bus ride back, which was made more convoluted and funny due to the language barrier. There were also my UK friends, John and Di, who my travel companion and I spontaneously had dinner with once settled into our Alice Springs accommodations for the night where we had our first taste of Australian wine.
It is encounters such as these one hopes will not be only moments shared but will forge friendships that will last a lifetime…or they’ll at least be your “friend” on Facebook. Regardless, travel takes risks, whether it is peeking over the edge of a cliff to see a new vantage point or meeting new folks, it is such challenges that help shape us into a better form of ourselves.
Scavenger Hunt items completed:
Ate camel

No comments:
Post a Comment