I woke up on my own around 4:30am hawaii time, which would be 7:30 pst, a normal wake up time for me. Too bad I didn't need to be up for another 2 hours! As I convinced myself to go back to bed, I realized I wasn't the only one up. Life wakes up early here. Maybe it's because of all the tourists, like me, not used to the time change. Regardless, I was scheduled to go to an island orientation at 7:30am as part of my travel package. I knew they would try to sell me more package tours than the ones I already had scheduled myself to do, but there was a free breakfast in a luxury hotel, the Royal Lahaina, so how could I resist? :)
The warm tropical breeze brushed my skin as I quickened my pace towards the lobby of the Royal Lahaina because I was running a bit late, but ended up running into the rest of the orientation group instead, who were returning from having their pictures taken (later to be sold back to them). The food was great, the fruit wonderful, and the other tourists I've met I've found to be quite friendly. I sat next to a family, honeymooners, and an elderly couple just enjoying life. As I listened to the presentation of all the excursions we could do during our stay, I decided to do a tour of the road to Hana instead of driving it myself. The road to Hana has over 600 hairpin curves and 54 one lane bridges plus the added sport of dodging oncoming tourists who are driving and spying scenic views all at the same time. I wanted to see more than just the 'road' to Hana, but enjoy the spectacular views of the ocean and rain forest. Besides, it will stop at the 7 sacred pools, a place where I can possibly swim under a waterfall or at least in a natural pool, crossing off another travel goal. The bamboo forest is located in the vicinity, but I may have to sacrifice this goal for another time.
For this trip, I will be going on four group adventures: 1) bike down a volcano (Haleakala), 2) take a surf lesson, 3) go to a luau, and 4) explore the road to Hana. Today though, is a "me" day - a day where nothing is planned. I can do whatever tickles my fancy and feeds my soul.
After orientation, I decided to go to South Maui for the rest of the day, starting by visiting a local church in a town called Kehei. I found Hope Chapel on the internet while I was searching for a church that an acquaintance of mine used to go to while living in Maui. This was more of a scavenger hunt for me because I didn't know her church name or even it's location. All I knew was it was similar to my church in Monterey. Hope Chapel seemed to fit the criteria so I was off to see if I was right. She may possibly be in Maui right now so if I'm right and she's there, what a surprise that will be?! :)
The service was similar to my church, having bits of the familiar but with touches of Aloha. It was wonderful to feel the presence of God in a place other than my town, to see my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ worship God in ways different from my own. This keeps life interesting and reminds me God is bigger than my ways of knowing, but He's always with me.
The message spoke to me as if it was just for me -- "Touching the Heart of Christ - the remedy for a troubled heart." Lately, I've been confused about the direction my life has taken, shaken by being diagnosed with cancer, and have been struggling to find the confidence in myself to accomplish the purpose God has called me to. This message reminded me to keep my eyes on Christ, let Him direct my path, and take leaps through life despite my fear of falling (and failing). My purpose is not my own.
I did not find my friend but after the service, I talked with the worship leader and fo
I parked in the only lot by Big Beach which had a bathroom (a port-a-potty) so I could put on my new swim suit. This was an adventure I don't recommend... to anyone. I luckily remained sanitized and enjoyed the water with an occasional wipe out. How sand gets into certain places of the body I will never know! What's so interesting is islands can be seen just off the coast of Maui. I tried to figure out what island I was looking at while I vegged on the beach (with sunblock on... I know I'm a white girl and w
On my way back to my hotel in West Maui, I stopped at the Royal Prince Hotel to check out the landscaping and visited a couple other beaches to take pictures. As I sauntered up the coast, I spied a fruit stand off the highway so I stopped to check out the produce. It turns out the man I spoke to was the farmer of the produce, grown organically in the field behind the stand. It was a bit pricey but I ended up taking home a pineapple
When I got back to the hotel, I made some risotto and enjoyed my meal with fresh pineapple and a pina colada, while sitting on my lanai as I watched the sunset. A perfect end to a wonderful day giving food to the soul.
1 comment:
Kristi, Hi I don't know you but I just read your article on Radiant about waiting. I really, really loved it. I can totally relate. Thanks!
Post a Comment