Thursday, January 31, 2008
I find myself sitting in the cushy luxury of my pillow-encrusted bed at the Broadmoor Hotel while I reflect on my first evening at the Christian Writer’s Guild conference. I can’t help but feel like a princess sitting under a canopy of blue and gold fabric, sweetly framing the bed as if it were to be the cover shot in some illustrious travel magazine. It is now I can exhale, allowing my tired body to sink into the blankets, enveloping me like a much needed hug after a long day, a day that began for me at 2 this morning.
I almost didn’t make it here! Last week I came down with the flu, which kept me from work the entire week. My birthday festivities were kept to an intimate gathering of brave souls whose love for me stretched beyond the fear of getting ‘cooties.’ (Sorry, Margaret and Bethany for infecting you!) I was frustrated because my grandiose plans to prepare for this conference were replaced with a fever, chills, and a gut-hacking cough that attempted to free my body of it’s mucus invaders. I am glad to be here, a victor of phlegm and fever. I’m not sure why God wants me here.
This isn’t my first writer’s conference. I attended two over the past few years in an attempt at obedience once God put this calling on my heart to write and to minister to teen/ college girls. Each experience has educated me further on this craft. I have been writing a book for teen girls over the past 6 years. I’ve seen it evolve to its present state and I’m here looking for guidance as to my next steps, to see if my writing is relevant to this audience, and possibly, see if a publisher is interested in it.
The thing is God never told me this was to be published. He just told me to do it and so I am, reluctantly at times. Doubt has acted like an infectious cootie to my confidence, making me think I don’t have what it takes to do what God has called me to do. I cling to the promise that I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. If He says I can do it, then I will muster up enough courage to believe that He can work through me, even if at times this task seems impossible and myself crazy for doing it.
During our conference orientation, we were told to be open to what God has in store. Be aware of who we’re sitting next to, who we’re meeting with, and whose workshops we’re attending. You never know when God will orchestrate divine appointments. We shall see! As for now, I’m looking forward to snuggling into my down comforter and choosing which of the four pillows on my bed will have the optimum cushiness to be my head’s companion.
No comments:
Post a Comment