Friday, June 8, 2007

The Cancer Chronicles II: Let the Games Begin!

Tomorrow is already here, my d-day, my surgery day. It's gone by so fast. A frenzy of plans and emotions have been processed in this short amount of time to prepare for this day and to my amazement, it's come together quite beautifully, like steps to a complicated dance that I'm only vaguely familiar with. It looks almost effortless when performed with someone who knows what they're doing! Thankfully, I have not been alone on this adventure as I am in the prayers of friends and family and the hand of my God, my Creator.

Part of me though, can't help but be sad that tomorrow, I will loose a part of my team, the rest of my thyroid. It has served me well for so many years and for the past three, has been pulling double-duty in producing the thyroid levels for my body. Its efforts have not gone unnoticed and will definitely be missed. It just couldn't withstand the overpowering threat of cancer. Why this happened, I do not know.

However, tomorrow brings answers to many questions, specifically finding out if the nodule on my thyroid is cancerous or if they will find what I've secretly expected all these years, my twin separated from me at birth. Perhaps instead of finding cancer, they will find teeth and a spinal chord just like in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." However, I will be happy if they find nothing and this adventure will come to a halt.

I have been preparing weeks for tomorrow and the adventure that awaits me. It now comes down to those few hours prior to a race or competition where the sound of the crowd and all that's frivolous fades to the background and it's just me and the road before me. My mind is slowly zeroing in on the goal at hand, allowing all worries and risks and uncertainty to be smothered in the sweet honey of incomprehensible peace. I am toned and in the zone, armed with clean hair, smoothly shaven legs, clean sheets, and cute pajamas. Bring tomorrow on, baby!

Let the games begin!

No comments: