I'm watching the second Spider Man from the comfort of my home, which means I was released from the hospital today! Yea! Hospital's are not the ideal place
to get rest, especially when you're being pricked and poked and squeezed for what seemes every 15 minutes. I will be thankful to sleep in my own bed without a roommate yelling "help me!" in the middle of the night.
I came through the surgery quite well. It turns out the nodule was not my twin lost at birth but was indeed cancerous. However, it did not spread to the other areas of the neck. It was a very good thing it came out when it did. I will have to go for radioiodine treatment in a month or so to kill the remaining thyroid cells, stopping any spread of remaining cancer. My thyroid and calcium levels will continued to be monitored throughout my life as I will be dependent now on medication to fulfill what used to be my thyroid's function.
As for my recovery, I'm quite tired and feel like I have the world's worst sore throat. Dealing with the reality of cancer and out of whack horm
ones has led to an emotional roller coaster ride brought further to the surface last night when I ventured out of my hospital room for a walk, only to find myself in the 'cancer wing.' I did not know they had placed me on this themed floor. It's the first time I have truly been aware of my mortality and that I was staring at my cancerous attacker, not knowing why it had chosen me to violate. However, it will not have me, not today! A very sobering and motivational thought to live my life to its fullest.
My nurses were great! They made me feel at home as best as one can in a hospital. My doctor's are taking great care of me. Their insights thus far have been right on target. On a light-hearted note, my p.j.'s were the talk of the floor, bringing smiles to many faces, including my own.
Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, kindness, and flowers send my way. They have encouraged me tremendously. I am blessed to have such people in my life. I will be recouping at home for a couple of weeks, pondering wonderfully exciting stories to share with inquiring people as to why I have a slit throat. Being in a knife fight has always been a fun story to throw out there to unsuspecting people not aware of my true character. :) As for now, thankfully, life goes on.
Friday, June 8, 2007
The Cancer Chronicles III: Life Goes On
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment