We left the Isle of Skye bound for Inverness, home of the famous Loch Ness. On our way, we stopped at Eilean Donan Castle, where the movie Highlanders was filmed.
Upon arriving at the castle, we were greeted by distant sounds of bagpipes playing in the distance. Like mice following the scent of cheese, we all followed the wafting sound which led us to the courtyard where a group of bagpipers were playing dressed in full attire. They accompanied us as we made our way into the castle for our tour. I almost ran out of the castle during the tour when I heard them playing "Amazing Grace" so I could try and record it for my Dad as it's one of his favorite songs played by bagpipers, but the song ended by the time I convinced myself to go for it.
This castle was built to defend the country against the Vikings and other intruders trying to take the land in the early days based on its ideal location by the sea. The only way into the castle at that time was by climbing a ladder a few stories to make it harder for enemies to enter, but they put in doors later when it was refurbished, thankfully.
When soldiers occupied it, they put straw on the floor to help insulate it. Being what hygiene was back in those days, they would sprinkle fresh herbs among the hay so when the soldiers trampled upon the hay, it would release the scent of the herbs. I thought that was a clever way to deal with the odor issue! When the little herbs could not fight the odor battle any longer, they swept the room out like a big rabbit cage and started fresh. We went at a steady pace through the castle as our time was limited because we had boat reservations to do some Nessie spotting on Loch Ness.
The weather was bitterly cold, windy, and overcast as we walked to catch our boat at Loch Ness, the cloud covering casting a gray, foreboding hue over this vast lake, causing us to wrap and bundle everything we had on for fear it would take flight. The black, ink-like water taunted us with its secrets as it slammed up against the white boat, causing a fine mist as we headed out for open waters. My eyes scanned the water like they used to when I was a lifeguard. Instead of looking for drowning victims, I was was looking for monsters.
Our tour guide said there have been at least 18 sightings via sonar of something 10 meters long. They even think there are underwater caves that may go to the ocean but since the loch is so deep, no one has ventured to explore them yet. Looking over the side of the boat into the black, choppy waters, anything was possible.
Sandy and I found ourselves now the only ones on the top deck, bundled with hats, hoodies, scarves, and gloves as the wind and cold pushed us about as if challenging us to a duel. We laughed because certain members of our tour group have been concerned about us California girls being adequately prepared for the cold since all we know in California is sun. We outlasted them all and were loving it... well we were numb by now so it didn't matter. Still though, no sign of Nessie.
As the tour made its way back to the harbor, we went down into the ship to defrost and catch any remaining glimpses of Nessie if the water dared to reveal her. I thought I spotted something long and curvy in the water, but it must have been a large wave playing with my eyes. Oh well.
I lingered a few minutes more peering out the window, willing her to appear, but gave up. Just as I was about to walk away, I saw it, I mean her, I mean I saw Nessie! I couldn't believe it! It was brief and in the distance like how you glimpse a shooting star, but it was definitely her. Such exhilaration filled me! I completed another scavenger hunt item; one I thought was impossible. I spotted Nessie!
Once Sandy and I arrived back in Edinburgh, we headed to our b&b full of our luggage and adventures from our trip to the Isle of Skye. We were exhausted so we decided to share a dinner at the b&b restaurant. It was a wonderful culinary experience where presentation was everything, definitely giving the term 'play with your food' a whole new meaning full of fun, quality, and a fusion of tastes that make you savor each bite. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful monster-spotting adventure.
So if you go to Loch Ness in search of Nessie, be on guard with a determined spirit and prepared to face the elements. She only comes to those who prove themselves (and have a wee bit of imagination).
No comments:
Post a Comment