As I watched the train leave the countryside of Bath, my anticipation began to grow. The rolling green hills with dustings of wildflowers and dots of sheep were turning into streets, houses, and brick buildings. London was approaching.
Throughout my life thus far, I've learned something about myself. I'm not a city girl. I don't mind visiting, but living in one is questionable. I prefer the country, to be inspired by nature not buildings, and have space to breathe, not breathed or coughed upon in a crowd of people. Knowing this about myself, I began to mentally gear myself up to get through an unfamiliar city, use an unfamiliar transportation system, and find my B&B.
I arrived at the Paddington Underground Station for my first experience of using 'the tube', London's underground transportation system. It was as if a wave of people picked me up and carried me out to sea, even if it wasn't where I wanted to go. They're fast and focused people on a mission to do something who seem to only function in two modes: speed walking and running. I call it the London Quick Step. Since I didn't quite know the steps yet to this fast-paced dance, I stepped to the side so I could get my bearings and buy an Oyster card at Bethany's suggestion (best idea ever!). This card acts like a debit card to let you onto most of London's transportation instead of having to buy a ticket each time.
I found the platform to pick up my train and waited, hoping it was the right one and it was. It has been the only train so far that has actually said my station name on it. They normally list the name of the stations at the end of the lines to let you know the direction they're going and my station is in the middle. I think God knew I needed a little additional guidance. :)
I hopped into a crowded train with my luggage; thankful I only brought what I did. I got off at my station and found the way out only to be greeted by sunlight and the noise of a bustling city. I happened to turn the right way and found the street I needed which after a few more turns led me to my B&B. When someone greeted me at the door, I was even more pleased. Whew! I made it!
My room is larger than the one in Bath but the bathroom looks like it used to be a closet with a stand-alone shower added. When I flush the toilet, it sounds as if a dam has burst, giving the mental picture of the floor giving way! Regardless, its coziness suits me well. After getting settled in this 200 year old Georgian townhouse, I got back on the tube to go after a scavenger hunt item: theater tickets.
I made my way to Leicester Square to get a half-price theater ticket for tonight. The musical Oliver was sold out so I got a ticket to see Carousel. After wandering around a bit, relishing my victory of conquering one more challenge, I grabbed dinner and headed for the Savoy Theater.
I found myself walking fast to the nearby tube station, subconsciously matching the pace of the others around me. These people are fast! Why are they running? What's so important? Is there some secret competition to get to the train first? Hey! Why am I speed walking? I'm not in a hurry. I slowed my pace, stood by a wall and waited for the train. It's interesting what happens when we slow down, what opportunities present themselves.
A few moments later, a 20-something guy with an American accent asked me if this was the train to Bank Street station. I whipped out my tube map and explained I was visiting, but we looked at the map together and found out he was in the right area. Thus began our conversation.
His name is Arjun, an actor from Los Angeles who recently moved to London to further pursue acting. He was so excited to fulfill one of his life's dreams by moving here, thanking God for answering his prayers. He inquired about what brought me on my travels. I, like him, had wanted to do this trip for some time and also was thankful for God's provision to make it happen. I've seen God all throughout this trip, especially in the little things that wouldn't make a difference to anyone other than me.
We hopped on the next train and continued our conversation, which evolved into discussing our purposes in life. Finding out we are both artists, he an actor and I a writer, I applauded him for his bravery to pursue his passion. "To be an artist is to be brave," I told him. "You're exposing yourself, giving all of yourself, making yourself vulnerable to others. It's risky because not everyone will like us or our work, but we must continue to do it because it's in us." Well, I said something like that! Arjun was touched and said his horoscope said he would hear a divine piece of wisdom.
He asked about my relationship with God and what I write, if it's mainly spiritual. I told him God is my life; He's how I live my life so it naturally comes out in my writing. For him, God is his life and acting his passion. We further discussed if we allow God to work in our lives, He can do so much more with the purpose and passion He's given us than we can do ourselves. If we try to do these things on our own, we may do ok for a while until it falls to a crumbly mess.
My stop was approaching so we shook hands, both grateful to have been part of this divine conversation; you know the ones that go beyond the superficial but straight to the heart. I'm not sure what his religious views are but he said he likes to have an open-minded view of God, to allow God to present Himself in any way. I left him with Jeremiah 29:13, "Seek me and you will find me if you seek me with all your heart." I prayed for guidance for Arjun as I boarded the next train as he said he would do the same for me. God is God and He can do anything and reach anyone, I guess even if it's through horoscopes, although a questionable and dangerous medium to dabble in.
I began practicing my steps as part of the London Quickstep so as not to get run over by the crowds of people walking on the street - Walk, walk, walk, bob and weave, stop, go, run, run, run, slide - walk, walk, walk... you're getting it! I was doing all this while keeping an eye out for the theater. Just as I was wondering if I was going the wrong way, I spotted the Savoy Theater sign.
The musical Carousel was wonderful, the music amazing, and the talent phenomenal. I found my way back to the tube by following the crowds of people and eventually made it back to my stop. Some of the exits were closed since it was late at night so I took the one that was open and began to walk the way I thought was to my temporary home, but it wasn’t. I didn’t recognize the area. I asked a gentleman waiting for a bus and he pointed me in the right direction. I was on the opposite side I needed to be on. I went over there and still, it wasn’t looking familiar. The street I was on was not on the map. I wandered a bit more but surrendered and hailed a black cab. I am adventurous but 11pm at night, I’d rather be in the B&B than wandering the streets in an unfamiliar city. It turns out I was close!
It was a long day and traveling makes it longer, taking more energy, but I made it back and welcomed the cozy bed gratefully. The London Quickstep caught me off guard at first, making me wonder, “How do these people do it? Do they spike the beer with an energy elixir like ginseng?” It does make for good people watching and I’m sure I’ll appreciate more of this dance once I stop looking at my feet.
1 comment:
Randy & I became proficient at the London Quick Step also. Maybe it was just all those very strong Cafe Americanos we downed to ward off the cold!
Post a Comment