I left London today and traveled to a little town called Bakewell in the center of England known as the Peak District. Pride and Prejudice fans may recognize this name as Mr. Darcy country - Derbyshire. It's supposed to be some of the most beautiful, rugged landscapes in England and I would be exploring it via public transportation.
Mind you this is not London where you could almost bet your life on when the train would arrive. This was a rural area and as far as the public transportation's trustworthiness, I wasn't so sure. It would also be the first time I've ever taken a public bus. I admit, I was nervous.
I had an early breakfast at my London B&B and a lovely conversation with the wife of a couple I had met from Connecticut also staying there. The B&B owners were a fun husband and wife team full of quick wit, laughter, and helpful tips.
My B&B was right around the corner from the Victoria Coach Station so in a few minutes, I found myself on the bus ready to encounter the unknown. I would first meet it in Derby at my first bus connection.
The coach driver pointed me in the right direction of the bus stop where I caught my first public transportation bus. It wasn't bad at all and took me to the bus stop right by my hotel. Actually, all the bus stops were located by the hotel since it was in the town square.
I was staying at the Rutland Arms Hotel, an old coaching inn where Jane Austen supposedly stayed while editing Pride & Prejudice. Needless to say, I was excited but after a day of traveling, forgot this piece of the hotel's claim to fame. I was happy to be there and once settled in my room, I set off to explore the bustling village.
Since it's Easter weekend, the Peak District was teaming with holiday goers which made people watching or eavesdropping fun. One building I wanted to see was the old church which was on a hill overlooking the village. With crooked tombstones and a dark, weathered stone facade, it felt old and mysterious, full of the village secrets and wisdom of old.
I strolled along a path by a river which led me to a quaint, stone bridge. I found myself walking fast, passing elderly couples taking a stroll as I was still in London Quickstep mode until I realized, I don't have to hustle anymore! I can enjoy a leisurely stroll. The area beckons it.
The village reminds me of the Cotswolds with its shabby-chic elegance. But Bakewell has one claim to fame the Cotswolds can't lay a hand on - the famous Bakewell pudding. Many stores claim to be the original inventor of this culinary masterpiece which actually began as a mistake. I bought one to try on my hike tomorrow.
I came back to my room to prepare for dinner which was in their dining room filled with antique clocks and an elegantly cozy atmosphere, part of the Rutland Arms mystique. I was pleasantly surprised to find my soup had eatable flowers floating in it! After the stresses travel takes on a person, this attention to detail blessed me. I felt like I had been given a bouquet. The food is high quality and delicious with the flavors exploding and intermingling to create a wonderful culinary experience.
On my way back to my room for the night, I took a look around the floor I was on and found out I was staying next to the room where Jane Austen supposedly stayed! There's a plaque hanging outside the door explaining this.
From what started out to be a day filled with nerves ended in blessings and sweet surprises which often is the case when encountering the unknown.
No comments:
Post a Comment