Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scavenger Hunt: Final Results

I have traveled through 3 countries in 27 days and set out to complete 17 scavenger hunt items. Let's see how I did.

Key:
Completed

Attempted but not complete



1. Find out what's so special about the "special toilets" in the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. They say it's like you're in a field of Dutch tulips.
I searched for these special toilets and could not find them. I think I may have mis-read the website or they're located in the airport day spa (yes, the airport has a day spa).

2. Grab a square of toilet paper form Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral. I hear it's stamped and has a different texture.
I couldn't find the bathrooms let alone a square of toilet paper. When I asked where the bathrooms were, they shrugged their shoulders and sent me to the Methodist church across the street.

3. Have afternoon tea drinking tea with my pinky up.
Completed at the Pump Room in Bath, England.

4. Get Starbucks. (What can I say? I'm a fan.)
I went to one in each country.

5. Go to the London theater.
I saw Carousel.

6. Call from or take a picture of a red phone booth.
I called my Dad from outside Madame Tussuad's and had my picture taken in one while in the Cotswolds.

7. Ride or take a picture of a red double-decker bus.
I rode them in Edinburgh, Scotland.

8. Buy something at Harrod's.
Done.

9. Walk along Stanage Edge like Kiera Knightly in "Pride and Prejudice."
Done with much effort!

10. Pose with a pint/ try a 'shandy'.
I tried a shandy at a pub in the Cotswolds and had my first pint at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, Ireland.

11. Try a wee dram of Scotch whiskey.
I tried one at the Scottish Whiskey Experience in Edinburgh, Scotland.

12. See the Colin Firth version of Pemberley from "Pride and Prejudice."
After a one mile hike, done.

13. Look over the Cliffs of Moher.
With some creativity, done.

14. Experience God in other cultures.
I encountered God in all three countries in unexpected ways.

15. Set foot in the places of my ancestors.
Done on the Isle of Skye, Scotland and Galway, Ireland.

16. Discover the mystery at Madame Tussuad's. What will happen to me at the end? (This challenge courtesy of my Dad.)
There was supposed to be a wax figure of an attendant that my Dad and Grandfather thought was real. Both asked it questions unbeknownst to the other person, so my Dad wanted to see if I was tricked as well. I didn't see it when I was there, but I did ask a question of an attendant. She was real though.


17. Spot Nessie. You never know what lurks in the Loch Ness!
Done with much persistence. She's tricky!

My score: 14 out of 17 - 82%

1 comment:

BrooXL said...

I'm excited about your answer to number 14; I was praying for you - specifically that you would have interesting and unexpecting encounters with Jesus on your trip!!!

I gues I have to finish reading the back posts to find the details of your encounters? ...sorry, I've been slackin' and distracted by other reading.

Grace, peace & adventure!